Sunday 1 November 2015

Disney 2015 - Day 1

Hello, and welcome to another (semi) live Trip Report! It's been a while, but we're finally back in Disney. This trip is a lot different than our last, much more budget oriented. It'll be interesting to see how everything goes, from the Value Resort, to the lack of car, to the DDP as opposed to the DxDP. I'll try to bring Rin into the mix a bit more this TR (he's gonna regret that), and she'll be typing in red again. So, on with the show!

Today was just a travel day, really. Our flight was out of Buffalo on Southwest, direct to Orlando. It was our first time on Southwest, and our first time flying out of Buffalo. The airport was nice, though smaller than Toronto. We decided to try Checkers for the first time, since there was one in the airport and we were getting hungry, but wish we hadn't. It really wasn't so great. Buffalove. That's what I got from the airport. That and I wasn't allowed to buy the 9 dollar shot glass that said it.

The flight was uneventful, though I have to say, I'm a big fan of Southwest's laid back attitude, and I'll definitely fly with them again in the future. Um, excuse you, the flight had a ridiculously cute baby sitting in front of us, AND they played Thriller as we were disembarking. Those are events, my friend.

Got to MCO ahead of schedule, and made our way to DME. It was our first experience with DME, and it was just mediocre. The Cast Members were pretty apathetic, and it just seemed not-Disney. The trip was decent though, and I enjoyed the DME TV with its little behind the scenes tidbits and whatnot. I like that their video thingy basically wraps up its info-sesh just as you're entering Disney property.

Once we made it to our resort, All Star Sports, I was a bit underwhelmed. I mean, I knew it would be different than AKL, obviously. But, even the CMs didn't seem as happy and magical. That, I don't think I was expecting. After we checked-in and got our Magic Bands (yay!), we made our way to the food court to get our refillable mugs. Easy enough, but I feel like the Magic Bands made the whole interaction impersonal. I'm not even sure the CM really said anything to us. He did not. We got more of a back and forth from the teenagers at Tim Hortons in Buffalo. Also the drinks are on a timer, which sucks, because I was one step away from mummification so I downed my water and went for more and they were all "negative ghost rider." which, okay, pop, I can see. Cause, like, maybe they're dumping into everyone's bottles for the day or whatever. But water? For Serious?

Finally, we made our way to the room. We got a room with two double beds, as there were no king rooms left by the time we checked in, (and the area we requested is apparently preferred so that was also a no go. For some reason this also nixed our high floor request. Such is life.) so we moved some furniture around and made a giant bed. Take that, Disney! We'll see if we get in trouble tomorrow... Yeah, I enjoy sleeping with my husband, but I generally resist sleeping on top of his ribcage. It was Super Bed or going the way of the Ricardos, frankly.

Our Massive Bed. And Rin!

We had planned to hit up Disney Springs tonight, but since we didn't get checked in and settled until around 10:00pm, we decided to hang out in the room. I would've liked to go swimming, but since we'd planned on Diseny Springs, we didn't pack anything in our carry on for swimming. Oh well, it's giving me time to write this. He seriously considered swimming anyway. I saw the look in his eyes. The boy is a fish.

Also, in regards to DME, it turns out that when you arrive late, they won't automatically bring your luggage to your room. They wait until morning unless you request it ASAP. Unfortunately, no one told us this on check in. I haven't slept in so many hours and I need to take my contacts out. 

Finally, we went to get some food. Got to the food court at 12:03am, and it turns out the food court closes at 12:00am. There were still people in line to order, but a Cast Member told us, rather shortly, that they had closed. I get that though. The pharmacy I work at routinely has people coming in last minute, or trying to get in after the door is locked, and nothing annoys me more than that. I just think she could've been a bit less abrupt about it. She was mean, man. And it wasn't just one, it was like, two of them, and they descended upon us like the wrath of God. Oh, and the drinks are closed until then, too. The self serve drinks. Including the water. Mickey would never stand for this.

Well, I suppose that's it for tonight. Just sitting here waiting for luggage now, and then time for sleep. Off to Magic Kingdom tomorrow! I get grumpier faster than Zife does, and the lack of tylenol/water/contact case/sleep isn't helping matters. So far my Disney has been a little more Motel 6 than I'd really like, but tomorrow we go to my fav place and it can only go up from here!

No comments:

Post a Comment